Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Slow-Cooker Jamaican Jerk Chicken

Okay, I'll be honest.  This recipe requires a lot of seasonings and spices.  They aren't cheap, but if you're like me you've been collecting them over the years and don't much care if they've lost their potency.  You just toss in a little more, am I right?  ;o)  If you don't have everything on hand and buying them isn't in the budget this week, it's okay to pick and choose.  The beauty of cooking is taking a recipe and making it your own.  Have fun with it!

In the house we're renting now, there isn't a lot of upper cabinet space.  Well, there aren't any upper cabinets, to be honest.  My landlord set it up to function more like an industrial kitchen.  I love it.  As a result, I had to adjust my spice organization.  Here's what I have come up with:


I use white "garage sale" dots to label the tops of each jar so I can find what I need quickly.  The larger jars lie on their sides.  It works beautifully.  And yes, I hide my gum in there from my sweet little toddler's hands.  Don't judge.

Hubs is a...how do I say this...a plain eater.  He likes hot dogs, BBQ chips, and Coca-Cola.  If we could eat every meal at a baseball game, I've almost positive that would be his personal heaven.  When we were dating, his parents came to town for a visit and found a jar of sun-dried tomatoes in the refrigerator.  His mom was confused, to say the least.  He took the opportunity to tell her about his new lady and she later told me she liked me before we even met.  That made me smile.  When preparing for this meal, I gave Hubs a shopping list that included fresh jalapeno peppers and I could see the fear in his eyes.  "We've had this before and I promise you liked it," I assured him.  He wasn't so sure but he took a deep breath and bought them anyway.  He's a good man.

I decided to make this in a slow cooker, but you can bake it in the oven as well.  I was babysitting my friend's daughter while she went out and enjoyed her first day snowboarding for the season.  With an extra toddler in the house, I decided to make things easier on myself.

Let's get started!  The recipe calls for scallions, but Hubs hates onions and green things.  To make it easier to "sell" this meal to him, I omitted them.  Also, I used minced garlic from a jar instead of fresh.  There was a day I would've turned my nose up to this.  Garlic from a jar?  Ew.  Now, I'm all about it.  At this point in my life, I need cheap and easy.

 
 
First, gather your ingredients.  Then, chop your peppers, scallions (if using), and garlic (if using fresh).

 

In the bottom of your slow-cooker, combine all of the ingredients except for your chicken and mix until you have a delicious mixture that looks a little like sludge.  Don't worry; it's supposed to look like that.
 
 
Now, add your chicken and toss to coat.
 
 
Mmmm...  It looks so good!  I made this the other day and I already want to do it again!
 
Now get ready for the challenging part: put the lid on and set it to "Low."  Six hours later, it's DONE.
 
 
When preparing my toddler's plate, I peeled the skin off and gently twisted the bone out.  It was a hit with my husband and my toddler!  I'm counting this as a "win" for sure.
 
 
Slow-Cooker Jamaican Jerk Chicken
  • 2-3 pounds chicken drumsticks and/or thighs
  • 4 stalks fresh scallions or green onions, minced
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded
  • 4 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 whole lime, juiced
  • 4 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 4 tsp allspice
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 2 tbsp. dried thyme
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 4 tsp salt
  • a splash of rum, optional
Finely chop scallions, garlic, and jalapenos.  Place in bottom of slow-cooker.  Add remaining ingredients except for the chicken and stir together.  Add chicken and toss or rotate pieces to coat.  Set slow-cooker to low and cook for 6 hours.
 
Yield: 4 servings
 
Enjoy this one, party people.  It's pretty amazing.  Did you loooove it?  Stop back again and post a comment, or do me a solid and Pin it!


Adapted from Wishful Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment